2008-11-08

One More Off The List

I wanted to die, then, there. I missed my chance. The moment has passed.

It a Wednesday, 2 in the afternoon. My legs were shaking, cramping from the torture I had put them through. They were worn out from the weight they were made to bear. My shoulders were aching. I had my colleague massaging my back, while completely delirious in laughter. I had just completed my turn on the HARLEY ROAD KING that we use for testing.

This is perhaps one of the most thrilling moments of my life. I remember telling my mother I always wanted to die driving a Harley. I had my chance to drive it, I chose not to die.

I managed to get my feet over the seat and tugged at the handle bars with all my might. I finally got the beast standing. I now had all the 786 pounds of raw metal between my thighs. I wanted to give my best shot at cranking the engine to life. Someone fore-saw this and decided to pull the crank off the bike. Had to settle for the button. I could feel the monster that lay asleep while I turned the battery on. It was eerie. But it was a amazing feeling, adrenaline rushing to my head. I could have done something stupid. I respected the bike. I turned the key to ignition and pressed the button (Oh and I almost forgot the run switch, a fine touch for these bikes). The beast was alive. Rumbling, like a hungry lion. I t was no purr of the stupid plastic bikes. This was just music. My hands were shaking beyond control. The bars were just reverberating. The throttle was smooth. The sound was deafening and it scared me out of my skin. I did not panic. I reached out for the foot peg and slowly eased the beast into gear. The resonance lessened. My body was no longer shaking with the bike. This was a pleasant feeling. I eased the clutch and throttled. She moved. I kept her gliding. It was amazing. I cant explain anymore in words.

I drove a HARLEY. Read that again. That has been my dream for perhaps all my life.

People...Don't call my work a hassle anymore. Its made most of my dreams come true...

5 comments:

Vibushan L Narayan said...

Dude! You drive a Harley! Congrats! But, when i read the starting, i really thought your work was a hassle. So, you made us think like that! And finally you are asking us not to!!

Rakesh Vanamali said...

I envy you!

Hari said...

Gethu boy Sid! :) Now, if only you had a cute thing seated behind you whilst you drove it...wait a minute, did you? ;)

And your template looks neat!

sid said...

Truth is, my parents and Vivek think I am better off dead than working at my company...Man I must see their faces when I show them the pics...

And no cute ones behind me...just cute ones all around me...:-)...

Vivek said...

I take it all back! :D
A HARLEY?
Dude Dont make me feel sorry I said tat!!
So anyway how's work?
:D